Script to Screen 2018
19/01/2018 9:00 AM
- 02/03/2018 4:30 PM
Sorry, this competition is closed.
Script to Screen is a joint initiative presented by Adelaide’s Media Resource Centre and the Australian Writers’ Guild.
Designed as a professional development opportunity to support screenwriters during the writing process, Script to Screen offers the chance for the winning scripts to be directed, rehearsed and then read by actors in front of an audience in the Mercury Cinema.
S2S gives writers the opportunity to hear their long-form narrative television or feature film screenplays at mid-stage development read, to experience an audience response, and to receive relevant and meaningful feedback by way of a Q&A session which will follow the reading. Producers and industry professionals will be invited to attend, along with members of the public. S2S winners will be eligible for consideration for Pathways Showcase.
The aim of this initiative is to support the advancement of screenplays from development into production and thereby contribute to the growth and ongoing viability of SA screenwriters and production companies.
- Applications will be accepted from resident South Australian screenwriters.
- Applications will be accepted from South Australian Producers with a script from a non-SA screenwriter, where rights are held by the South Australian producer by way of an option or assignment of rights.
- Applicants must be Full or Associate members of either the AWG or members of the MRC. Membership must be valid at the time of entry and for the duration of the competition.
- AWG offers to waive the joining fee for new members joining to enter Script to Screen competition. To take advantage of this special offer please become a new member online and enter the discount code ‘MembershipS2S’ when prompted when you select your membership tier.
- All scripts must be narrative scripts of any genre within a PG to M15+ rating.
- Scripts may be original works or based on an underlying work
- Scripts will be read blind i.e.: will need to be submitted without the writer’s name or any company information identifying the writer. This will ensure absolute objectivity by a panel and avoid any potential conflict of interest.
- Scripts to be submitted in standard industry format.
- A maximum of two scripts per applicant per round will be accepted.
- Where a script is co-written, at least one of the writers must be an accredited financial member of the AWG or the MRC.
Eligible script formats include:
- Narrative feature film (90 -120 mins)
- Television movie (90 mins)
- TV One hour (under 60 mins)
- TV Half hour (30 mins)
- A completed application form
- Signed copyright statement confirming copyright ownership (if based on an underlying work such as a novel, evidence of copyright is required)
- Script formatted to industry standard
- Script title page to include title of script and draft number only
- Project Summary including: Title, Genre, Format, Logline, Half page synopsis, intended audience and any market interest
- Rationale for submitting to S2S i.e.: the development stage the project is at and the specific areas of the screenplay requiring further development and how a public script reading would benefit the project. Please provide details relating to plot, character, dramatic tension, tone etc.
- Two rounds per year
- Projects will be read by an industry panel with at least two readers per screenplay
- Shortlisted projects will be read again by entire panel and finalists selected
- Applicant will be notified and a budget will be allocated for an honorarium for cast and director
- Key cast to be auditioned
- Rehearsal to be conducted close to the event with all cast
- The MRC and the AWG will promote the event to members and general public
- Applicant will have the opportunity to conduct a verbal Q&A or provide surveys for audience to complete on the night
Selection will be competitive and will be based on the following:
- The quality of the story including how effective the screenplay is in eliciting emotion in the reader depending upon the genre: horror, comedy, tragedy etc.
- The strength of the writing including craft skills e.g.: economical but evocative use of big print, dialogue, scene construction, dramatic tension etc.
- The professional development benefits, i.e.: the script read in front of an audience by actors, who will be directed by a theatre director for performance
ROUND ONE – AUTUMN / WINTER 2018
Application Deadline: 4 pm, Friday, 2 March 2018
Application Fee: $40
S2S Event One – Friday 1 June 2018
S2S Event Two – Friday 6 July 2018
ROUND TWO – SPRING / SUMMER 2018
Application Deadline: 4 pm, Friday, 3 August 2018
Application Fee: $40
S2S Event Three – Friday 2 November 2018
S2S Event Four – Friday 30 November 2018
- When applying please ensure you remove any referral to writer or company information on the screenplay or supporting materials.
- Late entries will not be accepted.
Script to Screen is a key industry event supporting the SA screen industry. The Media Resource Centre and the Australian Writers’ Guild gratefully acknowledge the support of the Mercury Cinema and the SAFC in supporting this initiative.